We are saying goodbye to Brexit Britain in May after 4 amazing years here.
Things we love about London:
- Tech Scene. Undoubtedly the best place to be in tech outside of Silicon Valley.
- Culture & science. So much to see and experience for a science geek like myself.
- People. We’ve met so many lovely and interesting people during our years here who will remain our friends for life.
Things we do not like so much:
- Congestion. Just so many people, everywhere, all the time. I kind of like it as well but when you need to get somewhere it’s a nightmare.
- Pollution. Living in London shortens your life expectancy. London breaks the yearly limits on air pollution during the first few weeks of the year every year.
- Cost of living. You spend so much on just rent.
- Political climate. This thinking of being better off isolated from the world is at odds with everything I believe in.
So where to next
We’ve thought about what we want from a place to live for a while and after last year’s referendum we did a thorough AHP-analysis of potential cities to live in. Berlin came out on top (above London, Helsinki, Stockholm, San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Vancouver, Singapore and Dubai). Our criteria included things like opportunities for work and study, standard of living, healthcare, environment, cost of living, etc.
So now that Article 50 has been triggered we are moving to Berlin in May. Who knows where life will throw us in 5 years but for now Berlin is the perfect balance for us in all the things we deem important.